If you are looking for a challenging and rewarding career you should apply with the Missouri Department of Corrections in Charleston, Mo. We currently have many vacancies for Corrections Officers I. We offer a starting salary of $38,000 a year with an impressive benefits package. 3 weeks vacation and 3 weeks medical leave within the first year along with retirement, health, medical and dental plans. At this time we are working 12 hours shifts which means more money in your pockets with the overtime. Please read the job description below:
- Maintains security in buildings, towers and other posts of an adult correctional facility; intervenes during emergencies or altercations and gains physical control of offenders.
- Supervises movement of offenders inside and outside the correctional facility, conducts periodic counts of offenders, and searches offenders and their living quarters for contraband.
- Escorts and/or transports offenders to predetermined locations.
- Supervises offenders in housing units and during the performance of work activities and recreational and religious activities; conducts inspections for health and safety hazards.
- Prepares and submits reports on offender violations of divisional or correctional facility rules, unusual offender behaviors, observed mechanical deficiencies, and security breaches or failures.
- Discusses minor adjustment problems with offenders; refers serious problems to proper correctional facility staff and promotes rehabilitation by attempting to modify offender’s social attitudes, discouraging undesirable behaviors, and encouraging worthwhile activities.
- Supervises visits with offenders; searches visitors, offenders, buildings, and grounds for contraband.
- Performs work in accordance with established rules, regulations, post orders, and specific instructions; receives general administrative direction.
- Performs other related work as assigned.